Not too long ago, the mention of green smoothies would make most people think unpleasant thoughts. But not anymore. How to make green smoothies has evolved thru the few years, so much so that it has shed its reputation of tasting “too healthy.” What used to be thought of as a glass of blended grass and leafy veg is a thing of the past. Besides, the benefits of green smoothies far outweigh whatever they may lack in flavor or taste. Also, there are countless of recipes out there that are extremely easy to make. Here is a brief introduction to the countless advantages of drinking green shakes every day.
Benefits of Green Smoothies
1. A green smoothies is a much better choice than fruit or vegetable juice. When drinking juice, you get vitamins and minerals minus the fiber. Smoothies on the other hand are blended with the whole fruit or vegetable, so you still get the benefit of the fiber.
2. It offers wholesome nutrition. The quantity of vitamins you will ingest depends on the fruits and vegetables you put into the blend. Most fruits and vegetables are high in vitamins C and A, folate, potassium and magnesium, which are all essential for a healthy diet.
3. It is an excellent way to get your greens effortlessly. When you blend a green smoothie, the flavor of the greens is masked by the taste of the fruits. Who cares if it is cheating?
4. It is a great way to trick kids to eat their veggies. A good strategy is to up the fruit over vegetables mix until they get accustomed to the taste. As they say, give kids what they need; not what they want.
5. It is very easy to concoct. All you need is a blender and some imagination. You can come up with any blend your heart desires.
6. It is inexpensive to make at home. Fruits and vegetables won’t set you back more than a few cents. Having a glass every day will offer you all the vitamins you require and is much cheaper than buying multivitamins. Just don’t get your green smoothies commercially as they can be pricey.
7. It provide a steady source of energy. While fruits are a good source of energy, there is what is known as the sugar “crash” since they are quickly metabolized. Since green smoothies have a high content of veggies, these drinks have a lower glycemic index profile, giving you an even energy source.
8. These drinks are very filling, and yet low in calories. This is why green smoothies for weight loss are an excellent choice. They have high amounts of water and fiber, and make you feel full and satiated. For weight loss, there are numerous recipes that can also help fight off hunger cravings.
9. It keeps you from getting dehydrated. Most fruits and veggies are made up of water. You could also add more liquid to the blend of your smoothie. This way you will be drinking more fluids without even noticing it.
10. It is easy on the stomach. Since they are already blended, it is as if they are already pre-digested. Elderly people or those with indigestion problems will benefit from it.
Cool Recipes for Green Smoothies
For those of you new to green smoothies, or if you are hoping to initiate the idea of green smoothies to your family or some friends, here is a foolproof way to take an immediate liking to the drink. These five recipes are designed precisely to avoid the usual nitpicking that comes with green smoothies. Keep in mind, green smoothies restore health, are full of vital nutrients, and can give you a radiant complexion.
Here are a few recipes that mix all kinds of wholesome goodies. The naysayers are guaranteed to keep their mouths shut.
Use a regular blender, and add ice if desired. Enjoy!
1. Tropicana Americana Recipe
1 small to medium ripe and banana
1 celery rib
1 cup of pineapple
1 handful of parsley
½ inch of ginger (adjust more or less to your taste)
1-2 cups of unpasteurized coconut water
2. Creamy Dreamy Recipe
1 ripe avocado (pit removed)
1 frozen small to medium ripe banana
1 orange (seeds removed if not seedless variety)
½-1 cup spinach
1-1 ½ cups vanilla almond milk (unsweetened)
3. Island Cleanser Recipe
1/4 a pineapple
1 small to medium ripe banana
1 inch of ginger
2 handfuls spinach
1 cup unpasteurized coconut water
4. Berry-Banana Spinachy Recipe
2 handfuls of spinach
1 frozen small to ripe medium banana
3/4 cup of fresh strawberries, or frozen mixed berries, or blueberries
¼ cup raw nuts or raw seeds (your choice)
1-2 cups water
5. Lemonade ala Verde Recipe
Half a pack of frozen berries
¼- ½ cup pineapple
½ lemon (seeds removed)
2 handfuls of spinach
1-1 ½ cups water
Loaded in immune-boosting nutrients, green smoothies once a day may be the secret to keeping the doctor at bay. Don’t limit yourself to the listed recipes, as you can be as creative as you want. As a matter of fact, you don’t need to have recipes on hand to make a green smoothie. Just mix and match your choice of produce and pop them in a blender! This is such inexpensive and easy way to get your daily dose of vitamins and minerals as well as some fiber to aid digestion. Get into these healthy drinks now and enjoy the priceless benefits to your health.